Hybrid Vs Non Hybrid seeds
Confused Which Seed to Plant Hybrid or Non Hybrid
Every gardener has a choice between Hybrid and Non-Hybrid(Open-Pollinated) Seeds and get confused to take decision especially for growing vegetables, considering most popular healthy term organic.
Does Non-Hybrid seeds are organic and Hybrid Seeds are non-organic? Certainly not.
Here the difference between Hybrid and Non-Hybrid
Hybrid: Hybrid seeds are produced by companies through careful pollination of two specific varieties by human intervention.
Ex: one tomato plant may be very drought tolerant and another tomato plant produces vigorously, the two plants might be cross pollinated to produce a drought tolerant tomato plant that produces a lot of fruits.
Non-Hybrid: Non-hybrid seeds come from plants that are naturally pollinated by insect, bird, wind, humans, or other natural mechanisms.
Positive of Hybrid Seeds: Hybrid seeds have disease resistance and perform better in terms of more fruits, flowers and vegetables produced, more plants surviving disease and pests.
Positive of Non-Hybrid Seeds:
· Because there are no restrictions on the flow of pollen between individuals, they come in a number of variety.
· We can also collect seeds from the plant and use them again next year to grow the same variety of plant.
· Low cost of seeds
Negative of Hybrid Seeds:
· Due to its specialized pollination process and the seeds you collect from them will not grow the same plant next year.
· Bit expensive compare Non-Hybrid seeds.
Negative of Non-Hybrid Seeds:
· Non-hybrid seeds are much more susceptible to disease and pests and not well rounded than hybrid.
Organic yield depends on how you cultivate it not just on Hybrid or Non-Hybrid Seeds.