Tips every gardener should know
Like in farm we can grow anything in
our balcony/terrace with basic knowledge and minimal care and most of the
vegetables can grow throughout the year.
1. Seeds: Get the best quality of seeds.
2. Soil: The right type of soil is very important as nutrition’s are required for the growth of the plant.
Mix of soil requires Red soil, Vermicompost and Coco peat in respective ratios (40: 40: 20). Also add handful of Neem cake to each pot to keep the soil pest free.
3. Pots/Container: Use HDPE grow bags to grow your plants, you can also opt for old plastic bottles, buckets as containers. Make sure pots having drainage holes to drain excess water.
4. Sowing of seeds: Basic rule for sowing depth is twice the size of seed. Soak the seeds over night for better germination of seeds however not required for all type of seeds which can germinates very easily.
Germination may take place 3-18 days, depending upon different varieties.
5. Watering: Keep the soil moisture till the seeds get germinate. Sprinkle water using watering cans or manually using your hands. Do not use pipes or mugs.
Water the plants twice during the summer. And once in winter and not recommended to water in rains as excess water drains all the nutrition’s.
6. Plants Caring: Most vegetables need at least 3 to 6 hours sunlight, but some plants like leafy veggies will grow in lest light even under shade.
Check the plants regularly and spray neem oil and Panchagavya to keep the insects away. Add handful of compost for every 10-15 days for each pot to make sure soil has enough nutrition’s to grow plants.
Include few flower plants in your vegetable garden, which attract beneficial insects and act as natural pest repels. Use shade net to protect the plants in hot summer.
7. Yielding: Leafy vegetable start yielding in 20 to 30 days and vegetables will take 45 to 70 days from the date of germination.
8. First time gardeners: If you are beginner into gardening start with Leafy vegetables as these are easy to grow even with little care and gradually move to veggies like Tomato, Bhindi, chilies etc.
9. YouTube channel for Beginners: For more details information on garden soil preparation ,garden setup and plants care etc.., watch videos on SeedBasket YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/seedbasket and Subscribe
***Eat what you grow***. ***Eat healthy, live healthy***