How to Grow Spinach/Palak at Home Garden
How to Grow Spinach/Palak at Home Garden and Growing Tips Every Gardener Should Know.
Palak is one of the most consumed leafy vegetables in every home.
Spinach, Palakura, Keerai, Palak, Greens
Number of Seeds
Approximately 300 seeds for 10 grams
4 to 6 days
25 to 30 Days
Spinach is easy to grow in
any type of vegetable garden
- All Seasonal.
- The right type of soil is very important as nutrition’s are required for the growth of the plant.
- Mix of soil requires red soil, Vermicompost and Coco peat in respective ratios (40: 40: 20). Also add handful of Neem cake to each pot to keep the soil pest free.
- Take Container/Grow bag with minimum 6-inch height.
- Preferably 12X6 Or 18X6 inch Grow bags or even bigger as per requirement
How to Sow:
- Sow your seeds 12-14 cm apart at a depth of 1⁄2inch (1.3 cm).
- Keep soil moist to speed germination and encourage quick growth.
- Sow the 1-2 seeds per pit.
- Water regularly.
- Seedling takes place within 4-6 days from the date of sowing.
- Spinach needs at least 1 to 2 hours Sunlight.
- Check the plants regularly and spray neem oil and Panchagavya to keep the insects away.
- Add handful of compost for every 10-15 days for each pot to make sure soil has enough nutrition’s to grow plants.
- Harvesting of Spinach can start after 4 to 6 weeks of sowing.
- Do not wait too long to harvest or wait for larger leaves; bitterness will set in quickly after maturity.
- Palak is multi cut crop, which means you can harvest up to 3 to 5 cycles and depends upon the soil nutrients. Usually, we can harvest every week from the first harvest.
- After couple of cycles growth of new leaf’s slow down and it’s the time to clean up the container and if required change the soil or add some vermicompost to the container and take the seeds and start grow again.
- Spinach can be consumed as Microgreens
- Harvesting time of microgreens is 8-12 days
- Harvesting of Micro greens once seedlings are 3 to 4 inches tall and have two set of leaf’s